Wednesday 11 January 2012

Recovery in pain

One of the nurses from G ward came and told us that Georgia was awake and in recovery.  We made our way back down to the theatre waiting room.

Even before walking in the door I could hear her.  It was that breath catching scream she does.  I think we were meant to wait until they came to take us to her but I didn't care.  I ran into the recovery room as fast as I could. 

Georgia was in the arms of a nurse when I went in.  She was fighting the nurse to get out of her grip to get to us.  When I picked her up she just looked at me as if to say 'where the hell have you been?'  As if I had been off enjoying myself!

They took us all up to PICU just to keep an eye on Georgia for a couple of hours as she has a habit of getting so worked up that her lungs collapse.  I don't think PICU were too impressed to have this screaming little child come in and interrupt their peaceful ward but after a bit of oramorph Georgia settled in my arms.  One of the nurses went and got the TV and put Peppa Pig on for her, then she got comfortable and had a little sleep. 

PICU monitored her for 2 hours.  All of the results showed that she was coping so we could go back to the ward.  We did get a little PICU teddy for her though, to go with the others.  She has quite the collection now!

On returning to the ward, Rob gave her a bottle of milk.  She coped with that quite well but then that would have been the oramorph for the pain and the fact she still had not fully coming out of the anaesthetic.  I don't know if you have ever been under anaesthetic but it makes you really thirsty afterwards so I would imagine that was what prompted her to drink, that and the fact she sees drinking a bottle as comfort.

She finally went to sleep and Rob disappeared off to stay in the charity house opposite the hospital.  He was going to sleep in the car but he had done that the night before and said it was bloody freezing, plus I had parked the car right next to the helipad.  Whoops! 

She slept until 3.30am then I expect her throat started to hurt and she had a bit of a cry.  I asked if she could have some more pain relief but the doctor had not written her up for any so I had to wait for ward rounds.  We waited until 10am before she could get anymore pain meds.  By this time she was beside herself, not only was she in pain, they were still doing IV antibiotics too. 

Luck for me, there was a 3rd year student nurse working that day called Rowan.  She spent so much time with us trying to keep Georgia happy.  I wish she had been working the day we left so I could have thanked her.  I couldn't have coped without her.

The consultant came in and told us that they wanted to keep Georgia in for a further 2 weeks IV antibiotics.  I was so devastated.  I just sat there and cried.  It's so frustrating, I was so used to being at home and doing meds and bottles and meals myself.  Having to wait for these things to be done for us was annoying.  Also, as we were right at the end of the corridor in a room on our own they forgot to get Georgia food.  We only got 1 meal while we were there.  Rob ended up going to buy food elsewhere for her.

Eventually we got some pain meds for her and she settled for a bit. 

It sounds awful but being in one room with Georgia in pain and screaming really takes its toll on you.  We both sat outside her room while she slept.  I managed to relax a little but you are always on edge waiting to see how she is when she wakes up.  Unless you have been through this, I don't think you would ever understand how it feels.  I cannot fully explain all the emotions either.

After watching over 100 episodes of Peppa pig on my laptop, Georgia finally went to sleep that night.  I sat there while she slept, praying they would let us go home. 

More than anything I just wanted to see Josh.

No comments:

Post a Comment